Tuesday, July 5, 2016

"Aspirement" - Content in Retirement - Part 3


Last month’s considerations ended with thoughts about “aspirement” which means “to desire with eagerness.” That ideal should really help retired people, as well as all ages, to richer, fuller living, especially when it is God-centered. I mentioned that we would consider some specifics as to how we can do this. This blog will be a mix of earthly and godly considerations.

I’m aware that many who read these meditations are not in the retired bracket. I trust you will pick up on these thoughts as you are inspired to reach out to some needy souls.

Last month’s considerations ended with thoughts about “aspirement” which means “to desire with eagerness.” That ideal should really help retired people, as well as all ages, to richer, fuller living, especially when it is God-centered. I mentioned that we would consider some specifics as to how we can do this. This blog will be a mix of earthly and godly considerations.

I’m aware that many who read these meditations are not in the retired bracket. I trust you will pick up on these thoughts as you are inspired to reach out to some needy souls.

A new magazine has just come to my desk. It is extremely helpful with suggestions on how to live longer, happier, resilient lives during “challenging times.” It presents recipes, “6 Foods With Healing Powers,”  testimonials of people who are in their nineties and have stayed “young at heart,” and more. Right on target but with something missing. The articles inform us how to live, but how do we die? There were no suggestions. (To assuage your inquisitiveness, I will list the “6 foods with healing powers: bananas, cherries, onions, beans (brimming with heart-healthy nutrients), carrots, and cabbage.”) I just opened a can of garbanzo beans to put on our salad.

Our generation is living longer than any generation before. Why keep going? From the “earthy” there are lots of reasons, but from the Christian perspective there are eternal values which we will consider below.  Now to the “earthy.” One author puts it this way. “Grow whole instead of growing old.” Stretch. Exercise as much as you think you can and then try more. A portable hand bike is good for both the arms and the legs. Water aerobics is one of the greatest. If you can’t do floor exercises, find ones that you can do while sitting in a chair. It might mean mind over mattress or the sofa, and it certainly means discipline. “Don’t sit and sour.” Get up, get out, and move about. Write that in BIG letters and cover the front of your TV. Why follow these suggestions? Because you will build energy, get rid of pains, develop a new attitude, stop your grouchiness, frequent the doctor less often, and have sunshine in your heart.

The Book of James is such a practical book that I feel I must do a thorough study of it every now and then—yes, and I am always convicted that there are rough/sinful areas that need God’s cleansing. As we reach the sunset side of life, we are apt to move along thinking that we have learned it all. That we are ready to advise others without searching our own hearts. We “rest on our spiritual laurels.” James 3:2,3 reminds us to control our tongue/speech. Have you ever thought of the examples of an untamed tongue? Lying, complaining, exaggerating, bragging, gossiping, putting others down, false teaching.  And the list gets longer as we ask God to turn the searchlight on our hearts. What about other issues that need to be disciplined: impatience,  grumbling, faultfinding, judgmentalism? “It’s me, O Lord, standing in the need of prayer.”  He works and I trust Him to grow me and mellow me.

For many years my life verse has been Phil. 4:13. “I can all things through Christ who strengthens me.” I must continually exercise my mind to think godly thoughts, participate in godly activities, and thus strengthen and grow my spiritual muscles to be more useful for His glory and to be an example of godliness before others. To do that, I claim Phil. 4:13.

No comments:

Post a Comment