Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I WONDER AS I WANDER -- Part 4 Faith in God’s Promised Faithfulness


“And we know that ALL things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose” (Rom. 8:28).

Oh what undeniable assurance from the heart of God, our Father, Himself, to our sometimes quaking emotions. No, we are not to live on emotions, but they sometimes get in the way of producing something beautiful or useful or both.

The night that I stood by the casket of my husband, dear friends in their desperation to say something comforting, would hold my hand and say, “Norma, we don’t know now, but someday when we get to Heaven, God will tell us why.” That episode was more than 40 years ago, so I have had years for God to graciously grow me. That midnight when four people came to my home to tell me that his dead body had been found on the street (evidently by a heart attack) God graciously whispered to my heart, “ I do all things well. I don’t make mistakes.” However, as days followed, reality set in. I’m a widow with sons aged 12 and 14. What is next?

What happens to people when they find it hard to trust God in hard times? In their despair their   first question is “why?” Not a good question -- because it belittles God. God does not owe us an answer. It is as though we are putting Him on the spot. “I need an explanation before I can trust You.” Suffice it to say, He is God Almighty, the great I AM, all sovereign, totally trustworthy, holy. He never makes a mistake. The clay does not ask the potter, “Why are you doing this to me?”  Clay rests in the potter’s hand and the finished product displays the maker’s expertise. The Lord is our rock, fortress, deliverer, our strength, shield, salvation, high tower (cf. Psa. 18:2).

Our church family recently experienced an excruciating tragedy when the church bus of children returning from camp overturned. The youth pastor, his wife, carrying an unborn baby, and a mother of five were killed. Where was God at a time like this? He was where He has always been -- on His Throne! Directing the affairs of His own! That is what Romans 8:28 is shouting out to us. “I do all things well. I make no mistakes.”  Do you believe? Can you take Him at His word?

When we are suffering tragedy, heartache, bereavement, frustration, and disappointment, we wonder how any good can come from it. God uses the deepest experiences to bring us ever closer to Himself and to conform us “into the image of His Son.” The impersonal forces of luck, chance, and fate do not control our lives. Our wonderful Lord, who is “too loving to be unkind and too wise to err,” cares for His own individual children for whom He has individual plans.

Paul, in his instruction to Timothy, gives us a glimpse of the majesty of our God. At the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, God shall display Himself as our Potentate (Tim. 6:15). Oh what a strong word: He is the One who has unlimited authority and influence. Our Sovereign, our Almighty our all-knowing, our all-powerful, God who is “too loving to be unkind and too wise to err.”

Thank you, Father! We will trust you. You do ALL things well!

No comments:

Post a Comment